Thursday, December 17, 2009

Striken

Well, wasn't picked for jury duty. It's cool really, I wouldn't pick me either. I knew if I was asked if I had plans after graduation, and if I had to mention law school, I wouldn't serve. And not only were those the first two questions asked, but I was the first juror to answer. It probably didn't help that my answer on torts had five other jurors agree, two of which ended up serving. From my lay perspective, having a snot-nosed 22 year-old kid who puts thoughts into words that five older people would simply agree with (didn't exactly give an agreeable answer, unless everyone can put "accountability v. holistic, social good", "arbitrary" and "capricious" yet "necessary" behind certain general torts and feel ok with it.. I honestly considered saying "they're retorted", since I figured I had no hope of serving anyway) isn't someone I'd want to make a case before.

Plus I was on voir dire on a civil matter, something which my answer on torts showed I have a pretty strong opinion on. Unfortunately, it's not one I can get into now. 'Tis the season, after all, and I have some time to volunteer; it's the only gift I can give these days, and one that seems more and more necessary and valuable the older I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment