In other news, applied to Temple, Suffolk, University of Illinois and Univ of the Pacific McGeorge with fee waivers. For any statistics people, there's an upper and lower quartile in there, a median, and an outlier. Will definitely spice up the admissions decisions come March. I was hoping to get fee waivers from LSU, Tulane, and Indiana-Bloomington, but no go on at least Tulane (I'm still going to try, but I'm at a loss for the paper work they're asking for), at haven't heard from LSU or IU-Bloom. And since I heard from Temple and Suffolk via email, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a few more fee waivers from schools I recognize in the next couple of weeks.
Last night I spent sometime with an old friend at a party of a mutual- for lack of a better word- acquaintance. I pitched the idea to him about this girls Christmas semi-formal WASP-y cotillion year-end extravaganza debutante ball homecoming junior prom mash-up I expected (and was about half right) and of course, we had to go. One of the high lights for me, and something I probably faced solely as a result of the atmosphere last night, I thought was funny enough to share.
Anyone who has partied in high school, or seen Dazed and Confused, knows there's always that older guy. The guy who graduated and is still sticking around, living in the past, and, at least in his mind, totally living it up.
So, here's the deal. As a recent college grad, am I now in the ranks of the Matthew Mcconaughey "you'd be a lot cooler if you did" guy if I go to a college party of second and third year students? It sure felt like it last night. Now, of course it always behooves one to keep in mind their audience. I was dealing with the ranks of the trust fund designer label kids last night moreso than someone I could hold a genuine conversation with. That's the beauty of college, we're all fused together. (Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not presuming peoples personalities here or just seeing patterns or stereotypes, but hey, if the shoe fits, and after a few shots at testign the water with a leading question or two, it did...)Of course I just graduated, and I was reminded by the few less socially inept partiers, that that persona has a certain creepy demeanor that I, at least according to them, naturally don't have, and if I did, I was hiding it pretty well.
But it was a thought, and an entertaining one at that.
Anyway, the Holiday Porter just reminded me that I should be doing more merry making and less blogging.
To all, a good night.

No comments:
Post a Comment