Friday, February 5, 2010

My First Rejection!

University of Illinois!

I have never been rejected to a school. Not for Ungergrad, and not even for clown school. Nothing.



That's a great way to put it: Denied. They're trying to redefine 'the bar' scene...get it? Denied at a bar? Funny right?

I think there are a couple reasons. I sent my application in at the end of December, like the 3oth or something. This explains their process.The Dean seems like a cool and straight forward dude:

"We receive a third of our total applications by Thanksgiving, and 66% by January 1st. Applying after that time makes it more difficult, even for some of the "above and beyond" candidates. We only have so much room in the class."

I didn't go into review until the 17th. So yea, everyone with a higher GPA and the 10% or so with a higher LSAT bumped me out for the 20% of their ~14,000 applications. I think all state schools have a pretty similar MO, but similarly ranked public schools like UofIn.Bloomington, UCLA and UofTexas seem to say 'it doesn't matter when you apply'.

It was a pull to apply at UofICU or UofIn.Bloomington. Statistically, I had a better shot at Bloomington.

But I went with UofI because it was free (I even emailed Bloom petitioning for a waiver.. never heard from 'em). And I even let them know. Here's the first part of my "Why UI" essay:

I’m going to be honest. I would not be applying or writing this essay if it were not for the fee waiver. But as I thought about it while I polishing my personal statement, I feel like that is a great testament to the character of the University of Illinois. It often seems like we live in a time of exclusion, and the College of Law has taken a great leap away from that segregated mentality with a fiscal gesture that ensures even working class applicants such as myself will be heard.

Yeah, I really sent that to a law school. I went on the blather about their Supreme Court cred, solid national reach and faculty, and whatnot, but really, I was suspicious that the fee free app on their site was to boost applicants, and game the USNews ranking system. It's why schools generally waive fees.

So really, I didn't care to go to UI, I wouldn't have been exploring the Sam Adams Winter Classics variety pack (great stuff minus the lambic) when I wrote my essays if I did. But my old boss went there, it is a great school, and I figured if an hour of my time can help them topple over schools like UMinnesota,BU, USC, WUSTL, it'd be worth my time.

It feels nice to know I'm not wanted.

Ah, and in an interesting bit of irony, I may start working as a freelance writer and a substitute teacher. I posted an entry about a week ago about how I don't want to either of those things.

Life is hilarious, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment